Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A brief explanation

I am beginning this blog for one reason - to chronicle my attempt to compel Montgomery County (Maryland) government to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In my opinion, the County is currently in violation of the law in several important ways. Perhaps more importantly, the County knows that it is in violation, and yet continues to forestall important changes to policy and procedure that keep thousands of County residents from equal access to public life.

I am one of these disabled residents, and I intend to file a complaint with the US Department of Justice on March 1st, 2012. I do not take this step lightly, and I was advised to file by several people - including the Director of the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, Art Holmes.

In the meantime, I am developing the content of a complaint, and exploring the issues. I will post updates with information about this effort here. I encourage you to offer your comments and questions. I want the process to be open and transparent. Nothing would please me more than to have these issues resolved before a complaint, but I don't expect that to happen.

I am on my own here. I don't have any person or group working with me. I don't have a lawyer - or money for one. This is a personal issue for me. I also don't have an editor. As I blind guy, I often miss typos. If I tried to be perfect, it would take me twice as long, so please, be kind and overlook the occasional typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment