Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Point=by-point; Point 7

7. Montgomery County Police do not enforce laws in the right-of-way equally. Their enforcement generally stops at the curb. Vehicles illegally parked in the road are immediately dealt with. Vehicles parked on the sidewalk are ignored, even after a call is made.

I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Police Officers in Montgomery County. They generally do a fantastic job. But, facts are facts - and the fact is that Montgomery County Police are reluctant to enforce certain laws that affect pedestrians. For some reason - maybe it is the amount of time they spend in their cars - Police here seem not to see when people park across the sidewalk. Sometimes even the most outrageous violation goes seemingly unnoticed.

I called the police non-emergency number about a blocked sidewalk twice. Both times the dispatcher seemed incredulous. Once they sent no one, and the second time I spoke with an officer. The officer told me that they were not in charge of enforcing ADA. In both cases, my concerns were deemed unworthy of action. Hey, I get it. I have not called since.

I have actually talked at length with the 3rd District traffic Sgt, Tom Harmon. Sgt. Harmon is understanding of my concerns, but in the end was no rel help in making some changes.

Parked cars and service vehicles are a major problem in Silver Spring. It seems to happen most the closer you get to the 3rd District Police Station. The worst violations occur, and police squad cars go by one-after-another - never seeing the danger right in front of their eyes.

I am not sure what can be done about it. I will probably take some kind of purposeful program to raise awareness and increase enforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment